Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Blaze Foley



I was having a conversation with my workmate Doppelgänger Joe about Austin the other day when he mentioned an Austin underground country singer by the name of Blaze Foley and the song "Clay Pigeons." I asked him if he could send me the track so I could hear it- and he actually did unlike many who talk and don't deliver. I'm fucking glad he did because the song is really good and Blaze's story is even better, he was dear friends with Townes Van Zandt and has been covered by the likes of Merle Haggard, Lyle Lovett and John Prine. Blaze was an exceptional, eccentric song writer (as you'll hear in "Clay Pigeons") with a fascination for duct tape. Apparently he wore duct tape on the tip of his cowboy boots to mock poser cowboys who wore silver tipped cowboy boots and also made a full suit completely out of duct tape in which he could be seen walking around Austin in. A charismatic character to say the least, Blaze was tragically shot to death protecting one of his friends in 1989. I interpret this song as the perfect anthem of the country singin' outlaw drifter who was loved by many, Blaze's story has finally left Austin for the whole world to hear. Thanks again Joe and feel free to hit me up with new shit anytime, enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment