Thursday, September 2, 2010

African Fuzz and Funk Vol. 1




Finally threw together a mix of some of my favorite African Fuzz/Funk tracks that I've been listening to lately- I've had these gems on repeat around the house for at least half a year now. I've always been on the fringe of attempting to grasp the amazing amounts of music that comes out of Africa, but it's really intimidating knowing my addictive personality. It's also extremely life-affirming when you discover a whole new genre of music that you never knew existed and have it take over everything your listening to. I've always picked up obscure African funk around the blog-sphere or off compilations, but my new fascination lies with the mid-70s psych fuzz brilliance of Zambia's "Zam-Rock." I first heard Chrissy Zebby Tembo a couple years back which began my quest to find anything else that remotely sounded like it. I then discovered Amanaz which blew my mind along with Witch and The Ngozi Family. Long story short, you should listen to this. Even better is you also have somebody doing all the work for you over in Africa- Brooklyn DJ Frank Gossner has erected the holy mothership of a blog Voodoo Funk which makes my blog look like a fucking piss ant. Frank came up with the idea of traveling all around Africa putting up billboards asking people to sell him their old vinyl resulting in a plethora of un-tapped killer African funk, afro-beat, disco and fuzz/psych. Fucking genius idea, why didn't I think of that? Check out his adventures here and be prepared to put in some time. He's also re-releasing many of the albums that he has found, including the Psychedelic Aliens which everyone is anticipating in October. All right enough blathering, let's get into the music shall we? Here's a small sampling of some stuff I've found, and if you have something you think I'd like- hit me up, enjoy:

Ah! Congo- Orchestre National du Congo
Feeling Good- Chrissy Zebby Tembo & Ngozi Family
Bazali Bam- Bazali Bam
Easy Street- Amanaz
05. A5- The Blackfoot
Atate- Ngozi Family
Eté Endénesh Gèdawo- Mèllèssè, Mulugèn
Little Clown- The Witch
Peter Tsotsi, Nashil Pichen & The Equator Sound Band - Pole Musa
History of Man- Amanaz
Khubani- J. K. Mayengani And The Shingwedzi Sisters
Hold On- Ngozi Family
Betchayen Tegodahu- Alemayehu Eschete
Ebeto dabi- Vis-a-Vis
My Ancestors- Chrissy Zebby Tembo & Ngozi Family
Oyonko Brebo- African Brothers Dance Band
17. B4- The Blackfoot
Yeqer Mèmèkatesh- Mahmoud Ahmed
Better Change Your Mind- William Onyeabor
Wozani Mahipi- Mahotella Queens
Everything Is Over- Ngozi Family

Hold On it's rapidshare

1 comment: